Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #1

Inverters are not very efficient at changing DC Battery power to AC power. My 500W inverter can draw 40 amps of DC power when providing the rated 500W output. It needs to be close to the 12V battery source so you do not get a lot of voltage drop.

I too wanted to power my TV and DVD player with my inverter, but hooking it up and putting away was a pain with battery cables and extension cords and also then having to deal with them strewn all over.

I knew the inverter had to be close to the batteries, so I mounted it in the front storage area and used short heavy 8 gauge cables to run to the 12V to the tongue area.

I did not know where or how to interface to the individual AC outlet by the TV, so I decided to power the entire circuit at the Fuse/CB Box/Converter. The 15A CB that powers the AC outlet by the TV also powers the one under the Dinette table, the two by the bed and the second TV outlet in the bedroom. That's good, but the issue is it ALSO powers the converter. The hard part was isolating the circuit from the converter which it tied in right at the Circuit Breaker. I removed the length of 14/2 romex from the back of the converter and ran a short length of 14/2 in its place into a switch box that I mounted under the sink.

The 3-way switch allows the current in normal mode (up) to be routed from the Shore Power (or Generator) to the utility circuit and when switched down it routes the power from the inverter to power the utility circuit.
The AC output is routed down through the floor and frame cross-members with rubber grommets and cable clamps. It then goes back up through the floor into the trailer by the Fuse/CB Box/Converter under the stove and into the switch box.

When dry camping, I can access the inverter to turn it on and off by lifting the bed or by reaching into the storage area outside. Then of course I flip the switch to the Inverter position.

22FB2010Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:24 PM   #2

Nice mod, thanks for sharing.

Will the 30A fuse at the batteries need to be changed?
Old 05-10-2011, 11:36 PM   #3

Nice mod. You do great work!!!!

Thanks for sharing...
Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #4

Nice job Tim-- Does the inverter create any measurable heat ? Larry
Old 05-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

22FB2010Tim,

Nice write-up and clean installation. Sure did eliminate the need for dragging out the extension cords and such. You've peaked my curiosity......,

I'm looking at doing a similar mod, except installing a new 3-stage converter/charger (in lieu of the OEM 2-stage) in my pass through storage for the same reason, closer to my battery bank. The existing Jayco converter/charger is at the very rear of my TT, and being a 2-stage (not compatible with the IQ4) not very efficient in charging my deep cycle battery bank.

Couple questions:

Does the inverter emit any heat when in use? I've seen some guys but a little protective guard around electrical devices (solar chargers, inverters, etc.) in storage areas so they don't come in contact with stowed cargo. I'm thinking about a simple plastic coated wire frame guard around my new converter.

....and...,

Like yourself, I boondock often and always looking for ways to maintain myself off the grid. How often would you use your inverter during a typical camping trip (no shore power), and what do you use to re-charge your battery bank?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoke View Post
Nice mod, thanks for sharing.

Will the 30A fuse at the batteries need to be changed?
The original 30A fuse needs to stay in the circuit to protect the factory installed harness which is 10 ga wire. In my case, I am only using a small percentage of the 500W inverter (about 100W) so i tapped into the existing feed after the fuse. If I were to go up to the max rating, I would run my 8 ga wires directly to the batteries and protect it with a separate 40A fuse.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19H F250 View Post
Nice job Tim-- Does the inverter create any measurable heat ? Larry
It has a cooling fan that automatically comes on when needed. Just running my TV and DVD player did not turn on the fan. If I started to load up the circuit with other 110V accesories, I'm sure it would kick on and put out some amount of heat.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
22FB2010Tim,

Nice write-up and clean installation. Sure did eliminate the need for dragging out the extension cords and such. You've peaked my curiosity......,

I'm looking at doing a similar mod, except installing a new 3-stage converter/charger (in lieu of the OEM 2-stage) in my pass through storage for the same reason, closer to my battery bank. The existing Jayco converter/charger is at the very rear of my TT, and being a 2-stage (not compatible with the IQ4) not very efficient in charging my deep cycle battery bank.

Couple questions:

Does the inverter emit any heat when in use? I've seen some guys but a little protective guard around electrical devices (solar chargers, inverters, etc.) in storage areas so they don't come in contact with stowed cargo. I'm thinking about a simple plastic coated wire frame guard around my new converter.

....and...,

Like yourself, I boondock often and always looking for ways to maintain myself off the grid. How often would you use your inverter during a typical camping trip (no shore power), and what do you use to re-charge your battery bank?

Thanks in advance,

Bob
As for heat, see above. The plastic coated wire cage sounds like a good idea. I would install one in my case to protect it from damage, but more important (on a higher output inverter), to ensure something doesn't accidentally get left touching it and chancing a fire.

Not sure about your mod moving your converter. On mine, it is integral with the CB/fusebox. That would be a lot of cable re-routing.

I use the TV in the evening to watch a movie. 1-3 hours max. I have two Honda 2000i Generators to power/recharge during whatever hours the Campsite I'm on allows. Usually it only takes a couple hours. I only run one generator unless I am running the AC or Microwave.